Does your mouth salivate at the mention of BBQ? Ours sure does. We wish we could eat it all year round!
Luckily – it’s that time of year again – but are you looking for lighter options to eat? Well, when it comes to eating healthy burgers we have you covered with our … drum roll please:
Detox Turkey Burgers!
Why detox? It’s because we have adapted this recipe from The Detox Kitchen Bible which also includes a great side of healthy coleslaw. Delicious!
One of the benefits noted in this recipe for Turkey Burgers is that turkey contains ‘tryptophan’ an amino acid which apparently helps with the creation of the ‘good vibe’ hormone – seratonin. We also like it because you can cook these burgers inside – rain won’t dampen this BBQ treat!
One word of warning though with this recipe – it requires a processor and some decent chopping time.
Let’s get started!
1. Gather your ingredients and set your grill to medium
Turkey Burger patties
- 300g skinless, boneless turkey breast (we used turkey steaks from the supermarket)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- A pinch of dried tarragon
- A handful each of chives and fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Grated zest of a lemon
- 100g sweetcorn cornels
- 1tbsp of gluten and wheat free flour (we ended up using buckwheat flour)
- 1/2 small red cabbage, finely sliced
- 14 white cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced (we used regular white onion as we didn’t have a red one handy)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A handful each of parsley and chives, finely chopped
- Some coriander to serve
- 2 tbsp plain soya yoghurt (we used regular yoghurt)
2. Prepare the turkey by putting half in a processor and pulsing until it forms a mince (and not a paste) – the other half to be finely diced. When done add them to a mixing bowl.
3. In the mixing bowl – also add the egg, herbs, lemon zest, sweetcorn and flour.
4. Combine the mixture and form into patties on a lined baking tray
5. Place the burgers under your pre-heated grill and cook for about 8-10 minutes on each side
6. While the burgers are cooking, combine the cabbage slaw ingredients
7. Once the burgers are cooked – plate up and enjoy!