We are continuing our review of The Detox Kitchen Bible Cookbook and wanted to test out its healthy ‘dessert and sweets’ section (much) sooner than later.
We think we have struck gold with this one – mainly because it doesn’t taste healthy!
Perfect for when you just feel like something sweet after your dinner.
The sweet treat that has us excited is the The Detox Kitchen Bible‘s “Caramel Squares” – this is our adaptation of the healthy (well healthier) dessert.
Let’s get cooking!
1. Ingredient list
- 400g pitted dates
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g finely chopped pecans (the recipe says to lightly toasted – but we skipped that step)
- 1 heaped tbsp cacao butter, melted (ok, so we didn’t know what this was so we put some cacao powder with some regular butter and zapped it in the microwave)
For the ‘caramel’ topping
- 100g honey (the recipe calls for ‘raw’ honey but we used regular runny honey)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 50ml hot water
2. Start by soaking the dates in boiling water for 10 minutes
3. Drain them and divide them equally in 2. Put one portion into a blender/processor and blitz until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl with the ground almonds, pecans and cacao butter. Mix until it comes together
4. Line a 15cm square cake tin with greaseproof paper. We actually used 2 loaf tins – one shown below
5. Spread the base mixture evenly in the tin and pop in the freezer for 30 minutes so that it sets
6. Now it’s time to make the topping! Put the remaining dates in the blender / processor with the other ‘topping’ ingredients and blitz for a few minutes – it needs to be completely smooth
7. Place the caramel topping on the base once it has set
8. Place the assembled ‘healthy dessert’ in the fridge for 2 hours and cut into squares for serving – they can apparently be frozen for up to 2 weeks (we will never know!)